Pages

Monday, April 18, 2011

Old Memories on Glenwood Avenue



This house is so familiar to me.  I was driving home and needed gas so I just had to stop and take a look.  Funny, it has been many, many years since my grandparents lived here and yet I still found the way.  I was very young when we visited grandpa and grandma's house most every weekend but the memories are still fresh in my mind.  The house happened to be for sale so I couldn't resist getting out of the car to take a walk around.  I looked into the windows and had floods of memories!  Looking into the kitchen window I remembered well, the coffee with lots of milk and sugar in the little coffee cup, Life cereal and Grandma making a meal to remember.  Looking into the den, I remembered the pull out coach were my sisters and I slept on many a sleep over. I also remembered playing the Everly Brothers "Wake Up Little Susie" on the record player over and over again.  Grandma never got upset at us for playing it loud or over and over again.  Peeking into the side window I had memories of Aunt Lorna's bedroom.  The master bedroom was a reminder of how much I loved my Grandpa and Grandma Sutherland.  I walked around to the backyard that was once filled with many orange trees which seemed so large to me when I was small.  I remembered the donkey pulling the flowers, that all of us children loved sitting on and pretending we were going for a ride.  The french door led to the living room where I remember having large family dinners.  I just couldn't forget Grandpa sitting in his chair watching cowboy movies and smoking his pipe.  I love this house so full of childhood memories.  As I walked around the house and back to the front I could almost see Grandpa working in the garage on his latest motor.  He could take apart any kind of engine and put it back together again with his eyes closed!  He was amazing.   I love this house even though it doesn't look exactly the same.  I love that my dad took me to see them regularly and that I got to spend so much time with Grandpa and Grandma.  I miss this old house filled with memories of Grandma and Grandpa so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment